"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday Nap

This afternoon I was really looking forward to my sunday afternoon nap. When I finally got the 'go-ahead' from Chad (Don't be thinking that Chad's domineering or anything... You can bet I require him to get a go-ahead from me whenever he takes a break. Being a parent is a job and breaks are timed and you are only allotted a few a day and when you do take those breaks, you have to get the okay from the 'boss.' That's just the way it is...at least in our house.), I climbed into bed and in comes Debbie. "I want to take a nap with you mommy." Okay fine. But I know there's not going to be any sleeping because she can't keep her mouth shut if her life depends on it (and let's be honest, I often feel like her life does depend on it. She is always talking!). So I let her climb in bed with me but I was kindof grumpy because I really wanted that nap. As expected she starts chatting right away, but as I listened I realized that she was giving me a real treat. She started telling me all about nursery. First she said, "When I was in nursery sucking me thumb, the nursery boy [that would be the leader] said to me, 'stop sucking your thumb.' five times!" I know this is a completely random thought, but it showed me that she wanted to share her day with me and that meant a lot to me. Then she said, "The nursery boy and the nursery girl [leaders again] brought presents and then they opened the presents and it was scriptures inside. Scriptures are a present from God." It's wonderful to me that she's learning these things from nursery! I am so glad that I took the time (however reluctantly) and gave her my attention and the opportunity to just chat with me. What a blessing that she wants to tell me about her day! I get so impatient with her sometimes and because she talks so much, it's easy for me to just continually blow her off because it's too exhausting to try to listen to everything she has to say. I'm grateful that I had this opportunity to realize that she's growing up and I need to take the time to hear what she has to say.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I get that way with the kids. I know once I am about to pull my hair out they do some thing so great I just want to hug them.

The Andersons said...

Thanks for posting that - I was needing a reminder to listen more and talk less to my kids. You are a great mom.