"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

ANOTHER post about poop

Cosette is in underwear again, and is really doing fantastic, she went all day today without an accident! And we've made great progress with the pooping. My attitude towards that last statement varies greatly depending on the time of day. You see, we do what is called a "pooping hour" or "potty hour" with Cosette every night and if you ask me during that time how things are going I would probably respond that they are terrible. However, if you ask me during any of the OTHER 23 hours of the day I will probably tell you how fantastic things are going. But let's back-track a little here... back a few months when we were in the thick of our 'first' potty-training attempt with Cosette and she was having multiple poop accidents a day I was distraught and despairing and didn't know what to do or where to go. I had taken her to the dr. and came home with absolutely nothing helpful. So, in desperation I turned to the internet and came across other people dealing with the same issue and one of them highly recommended a book/website, Soiling Solutions. I went to the website and bought the book (for $100!!) and then promptly put Cosette back in diapers. Well, while we were on vacation, whenever she needed a diaper change I had to take her into the restroom and put her up on the baby changing table to change her. She did not like that. She felt like people were staring and her and laughing at her. When we got home she begged to be put in underwear. She's really done great at peeing, she's had plenty of accidents, but she's really doing great. So, on the first day we started this 'protocol' (as the good dr. puts it). The idea is that 1: you clean the bowels out enough that the child doesn't have enough stool in there to leak out for the next 23 hours and 2: you train the body to have a poop at the same time every day. And it works, at least it's worked for us so far. But it's been hard. Really, really hard. She doesn't mind the suppository so much, but she absolutely HATES the enema. So when we're giving her the enema and she's screaming and crying and wiggling I feel like a terrible mother, that I must be doing it wrong and I'm afraid I'm really harming her and I go through this crazy roller coaster of emotions all from a child not pooping! But then. Then she poops. She actually poops IN THE TOILET. And it's all worth it. She's happy and we're happy and she stays clean all the next day and it's giving her confidence and us confidence (at least for 23 hours of the day anyway). It's kindof a pain to have to be home EVERY single night at approximately the same time in order to make this work and get her on a schedule, but I'm thinking that if this protocol works the way it's supposed to, and we can continue to get her confidence up, it will all be worth it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

That is great you have found something that works so well for her and you. It will all be worth it I am sure.