"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Monday, December 10, 2012

Catch up

Wow, do I have some catching up to do...
A couple stories I want to remember first:
Isaac was the VIP in his first grade class this week. I love that he's still excited to see me when I go to school. I dread the day when he becomes too cool for me. :( I think I've always assumed that my kids would be embarrassed of me because I just feel like a big fat loser. But sadly, I'm just now beginning to realize just how awesome kids are. They don't see flaws, they see people. People that they love who have worth and are important. No wonder the Savior tells us to be more like children. My kids don't love me because I'm pretty or stylish or hip or whatever (which is good because I'm none of those things). They love me because I'm their mom and that's good enough for them. They don't see my imperfections and failures, they just see me, someone who's good enough. I'm grateful for that.
Anyway, back to VIP. Back in September Isaac's teacher emailed me to let me know that Isaac was really behind in his reading. So since then we've been working with him a lot more at home but I hadn't heard anything more from his teacher. For his presentation he was supposed to pick a favorite book for a parent to read to his class. Well, he decided he wanted to read it so he read a book to his class and his teacher was beaming by the time he was done. She kept saying how proud she was and how much he had improved. We're so proud of him!
Now, for Debbie... She came home from school on Friday and was really sad and then told me what had happened. She had to get moved in class because a boy next to her was doing sicko things that were making her uncomfortable. But the kids at the table she got moved to were being mean to another boy and she stood up for him so then they started picking on her. Like they would tell the teacher she wasn't doing her schoolwork and say things to get her in trouble. The one thing that had her really upset was that they had thrown a paper airplane and then blamed it on her and when she defended herself the teacher told her to stop lying. When she told me that I got really mad. My second grade teacher was terrible and mean and I don't want my kids to have to be treated that way. When I offered to call the teacher Debbie said that she didn't want me to because she felt that she could handle it on her own. Oh, and after she told me about the kids bullying her she thought for a minute and then said, "I'm trying to think of kind things to do to them so they'll be nice to me." She's so inspiring to me. And here's another reason she's an inspiration. I came out to get a drink Saturday night and was startled to find her on the couch. She was reading her Book of Mormon because she was starting to get scared and she felt like reading the scriptures would help. Then she spent all of sacrament meeting yesterday reading the scriptures. She drives me crazy sometimes but she really is an extraordinary little spirit.
Cosette loves preschool, it's been so good for her. We're starting to do reading lessons at home and she's really catching on. I'll post a video soon. :)
 
We made gingerbread houses for family home evening last week, that was fun.
 

And now here are some random pictures...


 I took about a billion of these leaf pitures and half of them turned out really cute. So, these are only a few, I'll probably put more in when I print out the blog book.





No comments: