"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Orthodontist (Already)

I took Isaac to the orthodontist this morning. I never would have thought we'd be starting orthodontist visits so early but alas it has begun! He has an underbite that is wearing away at his front baby teeth and I don't want him to wear down his adult teeth so I decided to bring him in to just see what they say. And I have to say it was worth it, if only for this one comment... "Good job Mom." Wow, that's not something a mother hears every day. She was saying that I did right because I brought him in at exactly the right time. I guess if you catch the underbite when they're young enough it's easier to correct whereas if you wait until after they're 9 or 10 it will require surgery to fix. So, he got some spacers put in his teeth today and we'll go in next week and get a mold of his upper jaw and then they'll put in a retainer type thing that will connect his upper jaw to a wire/mask with rubber bands that will pull his upper jaw forward and fix the underbite. He'll have to wear it as much as possible, so while he sleeps and basically anytime he's not in school, but thankfully we should be able to do all that within a year and then he'll be done for a while. I'll post pictures of him with his mask on once we get it. (Mask sounds all scary but it's really just a wire that goes from his forhead to his chin.)

1 comment:

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

Wow! Yeah, good job taking him in! I know that's one extra hassle, so I'm glad it was worth the trip. I got braces when I was 8, and I had headgear when I was 10 or so, so I sympathize. :(