"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Thursday, August 6, 2009

My Stolen Time

A mother's time (and life for that matter) is not her own. I happened to glance at a calendar this morning and the quote on the picture read, "Oh for a book and a shady nook." And I had the realization that those days are LONG GONE for me. My thoughts were along these lines,
"Wow, I remember when I was able to choose to read a book and then just sit down and read it. I had forgotten that there was ever a time when I could find a book and take time to lose myself in it. Hmm, I remember those days... before I had children..."
I love my children so much and I'm so grateful for them. They make my life worthwhile and they make all the sacrifices that I have to make seem nonconsequential. However, I occasionally have moments when my eyes are opened to the sacrifices that I do make and today was one such day. I realized that any time I take for myself is "stolen" time. If I take time for myself it comes at the expense of others, whether those people are my kids or the people who end up taking care of my kids. For example, right now, as I am blogging, the kids are having to entertain themselves as I put off their needs (for food, or drink, or attention...) so I can take some time to post my thoughts. I don't begrudge the children because of this, I chose them and I am well aware of how blessed I am that I was able to have them. They fill a void in my life that no amount of books and "shady nook[s]" could ever come close to filling. So, while I occasionally miss the quiet time I might have had if I didn't have these noisy, demanding little people in my life, I'd miss them a WHOLE lot more than I ever miss my "me" time.
Well, I'm being hit in the head with a ball 2and 5 .2+a helpful 33363 17 mo9th8 5old i96s help4ing me t56ype3. I guess I'll stop +-"sl+ealing" time!

6 comments:

Samy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimberly said...

This is a hard moment in life when nothing is for you but, in the end it is for you. How your kids turn out to be good responsible people, the time you put into it will make you happy. There will come a time when your life won't be as busy and you will again be able to spend that time for yourself. Right now it's about snatch and grabs for your me time but it won't always be. Enjoy your kids now while you have them, and do all that can to spend quality time with each to turn them into the people you wish them to be, however there are no guarantees as you know but, at least you gave it your all. Motherhood is a great responsibility, and takes lots of sacrifice but it's not without the joys and blessings of seeing the results. Good luck!

Tabitha said...

As hard as it is to steal time for yourself, make sure you do it often enough that you don't go crazy. Then everybody suffers. I know I feel guilty sometimes when I do something for myself, but more often than not I feel so much better after I do and I can again refocus on being a mom and a wife.

MamaX5 said...

Boy, I hear that! Those days aren't long gone, though. Just deferred. Such a good reminder, though. I love your thoughts. Made me remember some of those epiphanies I had when my oldest three were all little. I wish I'd had more of your understanding at that time.

Emily said...

Well said. I know what you mean! (on a smaller scale. of course) Sometimes I'm envious of the cool things my single friends get to do, but then I realize I wouldn't trade my little family for anything.

The Mathis Family said...

You said it just right. It's nice to hear that someone feels the same way. Thanks for those words! You're a good mom!