"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Potty-training update

You're probably all aware now of our struggles with Cosette and potty-training. We decided to put her back in diapers for a while. We were all getting really upset and I wanted to let us cool off because we just love her and it started to be apparent that she wasn't feeling that love (because we were struggling to show her that love). Anyway, we put her back in diapers and we're all a lot happier. And, it turns out she has a medical condition that is causing all the poop problems. It's called encopresis. Won't go into the details, but it causes pooping problems, bad ones. So, we're working with her on helping her to NOT hold in her poop. I'm beginning to think that that's a big part of the issue. An idea came to me today that I think we're going to try. While she's still in diapers I'm going to reward her every time she poops in her diaper with 10 minutes or so on the computer. This book I bought suggests that we talk about her poop as 'sneaky poop' and that we're going to fight her sneaky poop together. I'm hoping that will help ease the battle of wills, that maybe we can work together to solve this problem instead of against each other. We'll see.
So, yes, my 4 year old is in diapers. And if you want to judge me go ahead. I know that people are judging me (I've been told what people have said) and it used to bother me. But I love Cosette more than I care about what people think so we're doing what works for us.
She's a darling girl and we just adore her!


5 comments:

Suze said...

In my opinion, Cosette and you guys' happiness is way more important then what anyone thinks about her being in diapers... And letting her know that she is loved is even more important.
You guys are awesome parents and don't let other people bad opinion make you feel other wise. Miss you guys!

Sara said...

Who cares what people think, that is their problem. Cosette is more important and I'm glad that you found out about her problem. People are so quick to judge one another. I read the blog you posted the other day about 'wearing our signs' and it is so true. We don't know what people are going through. I miss you girl!

Emily said...

So glad you figured that out! You are such a good mom. I'm am always impressed by how well thought-out everything you do with your kids is. I hope "fighting it together" works great.

Becky said...

That is a good idea, Hope is really into color and loves pink but is not a fan of brown so I would always ask if she wanted to be pink then we need to let out the brown. I was shocked how much it helped to put a different spin on it and not just tell them it's poop. Good luck.

MamaX5 said...

Good for you! This will be great for both of you! I've spent my whole life worrying what other people thought of me. Just in the last couple of years I've let it go and realized that not everyone has to approve of me. It's very liberating.