"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Society

I read an article on ksl today about a woman who found a "dyiet" list in her 7 year old daughter's room outlining all the exercises she wanted to do and what food she needed to eat. It's scary and makes you sick but it's something I've already had to discuss with Debbie. I know I'm partially to blame, I don't really love the way I look, but I mostly blame society. And it's probably not fair but I kinda feel like Michelle Obama has a lot of responsibility for it as well. Debbie has come home from school so many times talking about how she needs to eat healthy and she needs to exercise more, one time she even went so far as to say, "I want to be healthy so I'm not going to eat tonight."
Um, hell no, you did not just say that.
At times she's been obsessed with how thin she is and it just disturbs me. And I blame Michelle Obama and the school and society because they've become so obsessed with health and diet and exercise that they're teaching our children that that's what's most important in life. Regulating what they can and can not eat at school and working so hard to "educate" them, all in the name of "the greater good."
Excuse me people? Kindly BACK OFF.
I know I'm no model of health, but I'm working on it. And I'd rather have children that are healthy emotionally and mentally than have children who are completely consumed with their physical health. And didn't we literally go through a battle to come to this earth and have our agency? So please, give the parents a chance here to teach their children about healthy living in a way more suited to the individual and not the masses. And stop telling my children that the way people look is an indicator for how worthwhile they are. Because whether or not you intended to say that, that's exactly what you're saying to these impressionable young children.