Kids, I'm sorry I don't tell you that you are a good person often enough. Debbie, you taught me a good lesson about this. For a while you and I were butting heads pretty bad and it seemed like the more I tried to guide you, the worse things got. So one night I was talking with Dad about you (which, by the way children, happens every single night) and I was at my wits end and the thought came to me that I haven't been saying many positive things to you. Part of the reason was that I wasn't feeling very kind, but a lot of the reason was because I just thought you knew that you're a good person and I realized that you still need to hear it. So the next day, after a rough morning of many 'battles of wills,' as you were walking out the door I pulled you in for a hug and whispered in your ear, "Debbie, you are a good person. I'm sorry I don't tell you that often enough, sometimes I think it's something you just know, but I'm telling you now. You are a GOOD PERSON." And Debbie, you gave this sweet little sigh and then melted into me and hugged me tight and then after a minute you gave me the best smile and went out to school and I realized that is exactly what you needed. It's really what we all need. We all need to be reminded that we are good and I am trying to do a better job of that with all of you kids. Isaac, you will also give me a grateful smile whenever I tell you that you are good and I just hope I can tell you kids often enough that you will believe me. Because you are good, all of you. Cosette, I'm afraid I tell you least often because right now it's you and I that are butting heads pretty much all the time. I will do better because I realize that right now you are not feeling well and you need everyone to be a little more patient with you.
I love you, all three (and a half) of you!
And remember that not only are you good, but you are good enough always.
Love,
Mom
1 comment:
You are a great mom, Leah! Thanks for the reminder for when Genne and I are having not so happy with each other day/s
Post a Comment