Happy sixth birthday to sweet Cosette!! She has quite the large personality in that little body; all the goodness, sweetness, and charm of a six year old with the attitude of a teenager and the wisdom and vocabulary of a seasoned adult. I wish I could record her all day long, she uses these big and rather complex words and she uses them correctly it's awesome. Words like 'edible' and 'prefer' (I know those aren't big words but they aren't words most six year old's use) and lots of others that I need to remember to write down. The past year was kind of a rough year for her (and us by extension) so I'm really hoping this year is better. The diet is getting a little easier, we're slowly figuring things out. Honestly, we've seen the most improvement since taking her off all dairy. Which has been more difficult for her than the gluten because she always loved her milk and cheese! It still causes some tears (hers AND mine, lets be honest) and sometimes my heart aches a little when I think about all she has ahead of her with parties and dating and such. There was a meme I came across that had a man on it and it said, "girl, I love you so much I'll eat gluten free so I can kiss you later" and it made me realize [once again] that this really is a lifelong battle that she's got to fight. But thankfully, she does seem happier lately. I feel like she just had a massive bout of the "terrible two's" like a 4 year bout of them. But through this all there is one thing that has never varied... this girl is FULL of love. She is compassionate and nurturing and a passionate supporter of those she loves. Just the other day she was playing quietly on the balcony when I suddenly heard her yell, "Hey! Don't do that to my brother!!!" Then she went charging down the stairs full of indignation and love and ran to Isaac and hugged him tightly, ready to take on whoever it was that had hit him. And that's just who Cosette is. If Debbie comes in crying because of trouble with friends, Cosette is there with a hug and an offer to play with her. When Caleb is crying Cosette will stand next to the pack and play and hold the pacifier in his mouth to help him be comfortable. She is an intense child who does nothing halfway and I love it (most of the time anyway).
On a somewhat unrelated note... I came across something I wrote back in July of 2012 where I was supposed to write about all of the things that were causing me anxiety and then put what I thought the worst case scenario would be. At the top of the list was "Potty training Cosette" and this is what I wrote:
"It won't work, she'll be traumatized, she'll fight us, she'll have lots of poopy underwear and a sore bum, she'll stink, poop will get everywhere."
Ha. Little did I know. Check, check, check, check, and check. And then some.

No comments:
Post a Comment