We've been playing 'musical beds' in our house a lot lately. For example, the night before last Debbie came into our room at about 2 am saying she had a bad dream and asked if she could sleep in our bed. But we only have a queen and there really isn't room for three people so when she climbed in, I went out and slept on the couch. Then Isaac woke up at 5 and came to sleep on the couch, so I moved Debbie back into her bed so I could go back to my bed.
And then last night we had another round. Debbie woke up at 1 am because she was cold, so we got her warmer pj's and sent her back to bed. Quick and easy right? Wrong. She forgot that she had shut the door behind her when she came out to get us so when she tried to go back into her room she ran right into her door. Very loudly. Then she said "ouch!" Very loudly. Then she went into her room and banged the door against the wall. Very loudly. I shut her door after her very quietly, crossed my fingers and tip-toed back to bed. But, not surprisingly (because Debbie and Cosette share a room), Cosette started fussing the minute my head hit the pillow. After letting her cry for a bit (and hearing me grouch and grumble for a bit) Chad decided to go get her. They went out to the living room. And Cosette has to have her own couch, so she was on one couch and Chad was on the other. Then at 4:30, Isaac came out to sleep on the couch, so Chad moved to the floor so Cosette and Isaac could both have a couch. Aaargh.
The problem is that these kinds of nights are becoming the rule, not the exception. And Chad is the one that sacrifices more than I do. He's the one who ends up on the living room floor once or twice a week. Any suggestions on getting my kids to sleep through the night in their own beds?
5 comments:
Ouch. That does not sound fun. Lucy keeps waking up at 5:30 to pee and thinks she can stay awake and I thought that was bad. Maybe try some sort of reward that if they stay in their own beds ALL night they get to do in the morning. Lucy loves to help me mix her oatmeal every morning, but I only let her help me if she stays in her bed till a more reasonable hour. Or, since Dec. 1st we have an advent calendar, and if she stays in bed we get to do the calendar that morning. If not, no helping or calendar. It's been working so far. Good Luck!
We have not really had a problem with that. One time I let Logan sleep on the floor in our room seemed fine, but then the next night he wanted the same thing. So now if Logan gets up I got sleep in the bed with him til he falls asleep, we did this so he does not think he has any other options to sleep then in his bed. When he slept in the toddler bed I laid on the floor, now he does not bother coming to our room and try and sleep he already knows its a no.
My only advice is just spend a night or two with no sleep... Stand by your guns and make everyone stay in their own beds, even if both Debbie and Cosette are up half the night. I promise it will get better after the first couple of nights. You could also do a "I stayed in my bed" chart just like your poop one. Make it be a really good reward for 1 week of her own bed! I know you can do it! Just gotta stick with it. Although I have never had to deal with this one personally. you are doing great!
I am not too good about the bed thing. I did do the reward thing with Anthony and it worked pretty good each morning he got a star if he stayed in bed all night and them after 5 stars not he got a prize. Good luck the stars worked until Greg started giving him stars for other things. GRRR oh well...
HA HA!!! you should bribe them with CANDY if they stay in bed all night long...that works for ME :)
Post a Comment