Debbie broke her collar bone last thursday evening. I was out with some friends when I got a text from Chad saying that Debbie had hurt her shoulder. I had a feeling that this wasn't just an owwie that could be kissed better because Chad's not one to bother me when I'm out with my friends and he definitely doesn't overreact when our kids get hurt. So, I cut our outing short (I felt like a total bum about that) and came home to find Debbie in a lot of pain and completely unable to move her left shoulder and arm and she couldn't put any pressure on it. I decided to take her into urgent care that evening. When the dr. came into look at her, he asked her to raise her arm as high as she could. Well, if you know Debbie, you know she's eager to please and is obedient so she immediately shot her hand way up in the air then teared up because of the pain. She's also pretty tough and has a pretty high tolerance for pain (something she DID NOT get from me), so she didn't let the dr. see how much she hurt. So, after he felt both her collar bone's he promptly diagnosed her as not having a broken collar bone. He sent us home in a sling and said that we could go get an x-ray if we wanted but that he was pretty sure it was only soft tissue damage. Well, Debbie had a really rough night that night so in the morning I decided to take her into another dr. and when that dr. came in he felt her collar bone's as well and HE promptly stated, "Well, it looks like we've got a broken collar bone!" So, we took some x-rays and even though I'm no dr. even I could see where the fracture was. I didn't realize just how much a broken collar bone affects your life. I think I always figured that because it was in a sling and not a cast it wasn't as bad as a regular break or something. But now I'm beginning to realize that it is an actual broken bone and needs to be treated as such. So, now Debbie needs a little extra help with things. But, at least it's not her writing hand, one of the first things she said to me when I came home that night was just that, "At least it's not my writing hand! I checked with a crayon to make sure."
2 comments:
Poor Debbie and what a brave girl she is!
Yikes! Hopefully it will heal fast!
Post a Comment