"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Friday, May 10, 2013

Celiac Disease and swear words

Well we finally know for sure, Cosette officially has Celiac Disease. She carries the DQ02 gene. Now I'm curious as to which one of us she got it from. Because to the best of my knowledge, no one on in our families has ever been diagnosed with Celiac. The doc was saying that about 20% of the population carries the gene but never get Celiac Disease. He also said that a person generally has about a 1 in 133 chance of getting Celiac but when an immediate family member has it your chances go up to 1 in 10. So, we all went in yesterday and got our blood drawn. Isaac handled it like a champ, watched the entire time and was fascinated with his blood, "Woah, that's my blood?? Cool!" I don't know that he even winced. Cosette also handled it really well, "I've done this hundreds of times, it's ok." Now Debbie, on the other hand. Wow, she must have a genuine fear of needles because she turned into a monster, kicking and twisting and pushing and hitting, it took 3 of us to hold her down while the lady took the blood. And man was she angry with everyone for a while afterwards (as you can see in the picture). It will be interesting to see what these tests say.
And now to a discussion we had about swear words...
Last night I was talking with the kids and Isaac showed me something new he learned from school. He put his hand against his stomach and then slowly put his middle finger up and said, "when you do it this way you're doing it to yourself." Huh. Uh, not quite buddy. So we had a talk about that and then the kids asked the inevitable, "but what does it mean?" Seriously? How do you answer that?? I told them it means something bad and mean and just don't do it. Then Debbie pipes up, "Does it mean like the f-word or c-word or b-word?" AAAAAAH!!! What?? Where did you hear this stuff?? "Um, I don't know. Debbie, what is the f-word?" She shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know" and then Isaac quietly whispers from behind her, "fat." Haha, ok, I feel a little better now. Then Debbie asks, "Why do they call it 'word'?" And I try to be straight-up with my kids so I decided to explain it with a word they already know... "Ok, well, you know how mommy often says 'dammit?' Well, that's a bad word and I shouldn't say that word because it's the 'd-word.'" Understanding first, "Ooooh, I get it." And then, of course, "Then why do you say it?" Wellllll.... (Sorry mom and dad, I totally threw you under the bus here) "Because no one washed my mouth out with soap when I was a kid so now I say naughty words even though I try not to." Three little heads nodded solemnly in understanding, "so that's why you wash our mouth out with soap." "Exactly, now go to bed, I love you and don't say naughty words."
And that was the discussion we had last night about swearing.


1 comment:

Jack D S said...

What do you mean Debbie looks angry? She looks so pleased with everything. Lol