"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Come-aparts and Prayers

Cosette is almost 21 months now and you can tell she's the third child because she thinks she's older/bigger/more capable/entitled to more than she is. She thinks she's one of the big kids. And I don't know if it's a youngest child thing or not, but she's decided to dive headlong into her terrible two's. Now, many of you have probably heard me say that the 'terrible two's' are nothing compared to the 'terrible three's.' Well, I sure hope that's not the case with dear sweet Cosette. I'm afraid this impish ball of fiery sweetness is only beginning to test her world, and I hope we're up for the challenge. :)
I had a come-apart earlier this week and came to the sad realization that I can no longer take Cosette shopping. She wants to be a big kid so she doesn't like to be strapped into the shopping cart, but she's NOT a big kid so I can't let her walk around in the store and she doesn't like to sit down while in the basket. It's hard enough being outnumbered three to one while trying to make a trip to the store; any one of them can decide to throw a fit and make the trip decidedly less comfortable for me. But I brave these trips because I don't like waiting until Chad gets home because I feel like my time with him is precious as it it, I don't want to waste it by running out on him the minute he gets home to go grocery shopping. Well, my days of being able to go grocery shopping with the kids are over for the time being. I cannot handle the persistence of my littlest angel. Case in point... Last Thursday I needed to go to the store, we've had cold's and a sore throat and had run out of orange juice (which is essential for us at those times) among other things and it couldn't wait until Chad got home from school. So, I got the kids in the car for a 'quick' trip to the store. Well, true to latest form, Cosette started off the trip with kicking and screaming and shrieking and turning blue and stiffening the minute I put her in the basket. But to make matters worse, this trip Isaac decided to join her. I have no idea what he was upset about (I need to add that Debbie was an angel the whole time). Anyway, I started my way through the store pushing the cart while holding Cosette's leg so she couldn't escape from the seat, and trying to ignore all the stares I was getting. I quickly realized that orange juice was about all my nerves were going to let me get so I grabbed that and headed for check-out. As I was waiting in line a lady in front of me gave me a compassionate look and said, "rough day?" Wow, that about did me in. I just about lost it in the grocery store. Somehow I managed to get us home and deposit Cosette in her crib before completely coming apart. Debbie and Isaac sat on the couch staring at me in shock. I must have scared Debbie because after a few minutes she came to me and said "Mommy, I want to say a prayer." Then she knelt down in the middle of the living room and said a sweet, short prayer; "Dear Heavenly Father, Please bless Cosette that she will stop crying and please bless mommy that she can help Cosette stop crying and please bless mommy that she can stop crying. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen." She's such a sweet girl. A good hug from her and suddenly the day didn't seem so dismal. I went and apologized to Cosette and resigned myself to the knowledge that my days of freedom during the day are over. For the time being anyway. Oh, how I love these kids!

5 comments:

The Mathis Family said...

oh Leah. I'm so glad you share these things. You are not alone! And I'm so impressed about Debbie saying a prayer. That just reflects her parenting. I can tell you are teaching very well. I hope I can be that good!

P.S. If you come into town we need to get together with April again!

Anonymous said...

if you ever really need to go to the store, I am always here to watch them for a while.

Kimberly said...

That was so sweet. What a big girl Debbie is becoming. That just shows your doing a great job. Hang in there Leah, all moms go through it, some get their fair share of testing and right now your in the season. We love you.

Unknown said...

I hope we survive motherhood for our children's sake!

Becky said...

That sounds like the not fun days of being a mom. Some people in our ward watch each others kids so they can go to the store during the day. You should try and find someone to swap with.