"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Poop Chart

I know I've posted a ton about potty training, but here I go again. It's actually pretty embarassing that we struggle with this so much. Debbie has been potty trained for 11 months now and she's still pooping in her underwear, it's so embarassing! It's obviously something I'm doing wrong because I don't know of anyone else who has had this problem this long. Anyway, Debbie poops in her underwear, not a lot, it's just that she's holding it in and then has little accidents, and it really makes me mad. She's knows what she's supposed to do, why won't she do it?!?! Well, I decided to try something new. I don't really want to do a rewards chart because I feel like she's old enough to know better and we shouldn't have to do this with her, but we're giving it a shot anyway. So, yesterday after she'd pooped a little in her underwear YET AGAIN, I made up this chart. I realized that punishing her for accidents obviously wasn't working, and the thought came to me that if I encourage her to poop in the toilet then she won't be trying to hold it in and maybe then the accidents will stop. So, I showed her the chart and told her that everytime she pooped in the toilet (it has to be medium or big, little poops don't count) she gets to put a sticker on the chart. After she gets 5 stickers in a row she gets a small treat, and when she fills up the whole chart she gets a princess barbie. Well, less than 1 hour after I showed her the chart she pooped in the toilet!! The little snot. It's irritating to me that it's come down to this, but I guess it's better than the alternative. She obviously knows how to poop in the toilet, why wouldn't she do that in the first place?!?! All I can say is, it's a good thing we love her so much...

5 comments:

Brieann Dillingham said...

We still have the same problem with Jarrett. He has little accidents we call "squirt farts" in his underwear and it's soo frustrating!!I went to the Dr. about this and he said that because Jarrett had been constipated for a long time(sorry, I know this is gross, but maybe Debbie has the same problem?) his spincter was all stretched out so only a little bit of poop could could come out at a time around the constipated stuff. We have to really watch his diet and sometimes he still does it; but I think it's because he can't control when it comes out. Once again, sorry about the grossness of this, but maybe it will help! Good luck!

The Andersons said...

Leah you are doing a great job! As mother's it is so easy to get frustrated and what not, but this is a really cute, positive way to deal with a hard situation! Keep up the great work!

MamaX5 said...

She is not the only one that has had trouble getting the concept. Jimmy and a couple other cousins have all had the same "issue" (ha ha). I swear Jimmy just started using the toilet for #2 in the last month or so.

Along with Brieann's comment, I've had other kids that have had digestive issues, and we started giving them Fiber One cereal and YoPlus yogurt and that's totally helped out the problem.

The Mathis Family said...

Oh, Leah! I totally understand your frustration! You are so good to be patient with her. I think the reason I had children was to learn patients! The chart thing is what finally worked for Lucy too. It's good to know I'm not the only mom with these problems! We're all going through the same crap!

Aaron Ludwig said...

I LOVE your "poop chart!" I'm definitely keeping this in mind for a couple years down the road. Haha.
-Mary Ludwig