"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Potty-training
I'm a miserable failure of a parent. My 4 year old is not potty-trained and I'm not up for doing it. He's ready now, but the very thought strikes terror to my heart. Can I just put him in underwear and let him figure it out? Or do I need to be all positive and happiness? Because if it's going to take positive and happiness, I'm the wrong person for the job! I HATE potty-training!!! [It doesn't help that his 5 year old sister still has accidents on a regular basis, I obviously did it wrong with her.] Is there any chance it would work to just put him in underwear and then go throughout the day like normal and just clean up his messes? Would he learn? Or does it have to be the charts and treats and cheers? Ugh. I think Chad's going to have to take a few days off of school and stay home to help. Because it's not going to happen without him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I feel the same way about it. Logan still had some problems at 5 We finally figured out that capri suns made him have accidents. He woudl drink them so fast that it would hit his bladder so fast he would have accidents. You could try just putting him in undies, if he is ready it might work.
1st of all you are not a failure as a parent...Potty training is excruciating for a TON of parents. I think just putting him in underwear and having him learn as he goes is a perfectly fine way of doing it. No need for charts and all of that, maybe a treat at the end of the day for having no accidents or fewer accidents would be enough (an extra book at bed time or a cookie, or whatever, just something small) He is old enough and smart enough to get the idea and I think you will be surprised that it will prob only be a week of accidents before he gets the hang of it. You can do it, you are wonderful, don't doubt that you are a good parent...you love your babies :)
Agree with Cynthia! Those kids are happy and that makes a great parent!
Post a Comment