"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Friday, February 15, 2013

Good to Go!

Isaac got his mask today. We won't put it on him for a couple days so he can get used to having the device in his mouth, but we have it now and can start in a few days! The orthodontist is going to have us turn the retainer a few times to widen up Isaac's jaw a little but I don't think we'll have to do much that way.
 

Debbie got x-rays and pictures taken today and has spacers in now in preparation for getting what they call a "habit guard" to help her stop sucking her thumb.
Life has gotten so busy lately, I don't understand how moms with a lot of kids do it. I keep thinking to myself, "I only have 3 kids, and they're still young, why am I so busy!?!" I feel like I spend half the day in the car, driving kids to and from school and then to and from doctors appointments and whatever else we have going on, my days just fill up so fast, and we don't even have extra-curricular's to worry about! But as much as I complain I really wouldn't change a thing. I figure being so busy is just a witness to how blessed we are and I wouldn't trade these kids for the world. Seriously, not a one (even though some days I may profess different).
I went to the store last night and bought a bunch of gluten-free food. Wow, that stuff is expensive. Chad and I had decided to just try the gluten-free diet to see if that helps Cosette and I barely survived today. How do you explain to a 5 year old that basically her entire diet is now off limits to her!?! We had a scene at the mall because she wanted chicken nuggets and chick-fil-a has gluten-free chicken "nuggets." Only they're not really chicken nuggets. I mean, I really appreciate that they're willing to try but it was just grilled chicken cut up into small pieces which would totally work for me but did not go over well with a little girl who had her heart set on actual, breaded chicken nuggets. How do I explain this all to a little girl? "I'm sorry sweetie, you can't have this, even though your brother and sister and friends are eating it and even though you love it and have been eating it your entire life, you can't have it anymore so just eat your plain stuff and watch everyone else eat what you want." And then she just cries, she keeps saying to me, "Mommy, I wish I didn't have this problem." It breaks my heart. And we have such battles over having her take her medicine, I don't know how to do it any better than I'm doing it! I'm so emotionally exhausted. I just pray that she doesn't actually have celiac's. I honestly don't know how I'll survive. She could just be bloated because of the plug that's in there, or maybe it's a lactose thing. I'm thinking it might be worth it to test her on a lactose free diet first to avoid as much misery as we can. But no matter the outcome I will say this, my heart goes out to any mother who has a child on a special diet, I never realized how much work it would be AND IT'S ONLY BEEN ONE DAY. Gaaah! I have nothing to complain about, it's only been a day, who am I to talk?!?

No comments: