"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Intuitive

This is what Debbe knows about what I'm going through, she knows that 'mommy has a sickness in her brain that makes it hard for her to be happy sometimes.' [And she also knew, during the past few months while the kids were being shuffled around from grandparents to grandparents, that daddy was at home 'babysitting' me (I thought that was cute).] I'm feeling better now [finally, hopefully it's here to stay], but I still have moments when the clouds come over my mind. Debbe was sitting next to me the other day during such a moment. Nothing changed except the look on my face, that was it, I was sitting there and I felt my mind darken and apparently it showed on my face, but sweet Debbe immediately asked me, "mommy, are you feeling sick again?" She's FIVE. She shouldn't be able to immediately recognize the look of depression at FIVE. I feel like I've robbed her of her rightful charmed childhood. I mean, the poor girl knew what bipolar meant when she was four years old. And yet, she's tough, she's stayed sweet and loving and right now is in her room singing songs about Jesus and the Holy Ghost. :)

8 comments:

Suze said...

She is the sweetest five year old I have ever met !!!

Becky said...

It's great that Debbie understands this. You have not deprived her as a child you have made her a more understanding person to people's feelings around her.

The Mathis Family said...

I think it just shows that Heavenly Father is there for you through your daughter to help you get past your hard times. It's so great that she understands and it shows that she loves you so much!

MamaX5 said...

I worried about Wyatt for that same reason. I was depressed the first 10 years of his life, but he's turned into such an amazing young man, and he does have a lot of empathy for others. He's also a good big brother and has learned how to be responsible - learned to make his own breakfast, pick up his stuff, etc. I believe they're blessed in other ways. I finally learned to do my best each day, and that Heavenly Father would make up the rest through others, and through my kids own special spirits.

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

I just want to say amen to all the other comments. I'm really impressed that knowing it would be tough, you still chose to be a wife and mother. A GOOD mom, at that. I worry about it with my own problem (though migraines aren't quite the same thing). So as much as I have faith that my own kids will be ok even when I have to use the tv as a babysitter when I'm down with a migraine, I have faith yours will learn from example how to triumph over adversity. Just take it one day at a time. Sometimes just minute to minute. ;)

Cynthia and Bryan said...

I love Debbe, she is such a little ray of sunshine :) Call me when you are bored. I forgot my mom has unlimited long distance :) 4236292482, so I can call ya back on your house phone.

Leah said...

Thanks for all your support everyone. :) It means a lot to me.

Unknown said...

I think it is great that Debbe is showing such love and she is there to be a help for you. I hope things just keeping getting easier for you!