"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mothering

(Okay, this post turned out significantly longer than I intended, sorry about that. If you don't want to read the whole thing, at least read the part in bold, that's what I mainly wanted to share.)
I read an interesting article in Time magazine this morning while I was waiting at the Dr. office. It's about a book entitled Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua. You can read the full article here. She's Chinese and feels that the Chinese way of mothering is superior to the American way because the Chinese are much more successful than we are. So she's very strict with her children and demands a lot from them, such as requiring them to play the piano for 7 hours straight until they get the song right. Or rejecting her young daughters birthday card "because she didn't spend enough time on it." Or not allowing her children to have friends.

When I first started reading I was thinking, "Wow, this lady is NUTS! What an awful mother!" I was so appalled, but in some cases I think that she's got an idea worth considering. But overall, I felt that she's taken it all to the serious extreme. Her justification for how she parents is that she's preparing her children to be successful adults. And she's right, she is preparing her children to succeed in the business part of life. But there's much more to being an adult than being the best at everything.

What is our responsibility to our children? We want them to be successful adults, but we also have a knowledge that Amy Chua may not, we know that we are children of God and that our main and most important goal is to return to live with Him again. So, how does Amy Chua's type of parenting fit into that knowledge? Should we be focusing more on our children's academia, or is it okay to let them be kids and play with their friends? Am I failing my children and our country by not subscribing to this woman's ideas? I'm sure a happy medium is the correct answer.

The article quoted one study that I found very interesting.

"[Standford psychologist Carol] Dweck has conducted studies with hundreds of students, mostly early adolescents, in which experimenters gave the subjects a set of difficult problems from an IQ test. Afterward, some of the young people were praised for their ability: "You must be smart at this." Others were praised for their effort: "You must have worked really hard." The kids who were complimented on their intelligence were much more likely to turn down the opportunity to do a challenging new task that they could learn from. "They didn't want to do anything that would expose their deficiencies and call into question their talent," Dweck says. Ninety percent of the kids who were praised for their hard work, however, were eager to take on the demanding new exercise."

I find that so interesting. So I tried it with my kids this morning. They were helping me carry in the groceries and instead of thanking them for being so helpful, like I normally do, I said, "Wow, you're being hard workers! Good job for working so hard!" They beamed at that! They were so proud of themselves.

I don't agree with most of what this lady did to her children, but I'm glad I read the article because of the study about praising your children for hard work. It's such an obvious thing, but I wouldn't have thought of it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do your brothers know you're an HTML programmer?

Kimberly said...

I think you can do both, God wants us to work hard too, but, I don't think he expects us to do everything right. It's also okay to fail and make mistakes as long as we get back up and try again. It's important that we are teaching our children the importance of God's love, teaching them to work hard, try new things, this is how some people find their passion, but, we don't need to know everything. I think the woman was in the extreme just a little bit, but like you said, it is something to think about. Are we too relaxed in what we want our children to learn, when we hear our kids complain so often about piano, we give in and let them give up all together, when we should probably stick to it and hope they understand this is for your good. But, it's good to find the child's passion too. Sigh! To many things to think about and teach our children. It can be overwhelming, but as long as we are doing something.

Becky said...

I read that too, I don't know how you can reject a childs birthday card and call yourself a good parent. Who cares if they make millions or 5 bucks as long as thery know they can come to me pass or fail and be loved.

Brieann Dillingham said...

I love reading your posts. I can always count on you to make me think about how I react to what happens with my children everyday. You are a great mom and I hope I'm as good to my kids as you are to yours;)

Mary Ludwig said...

Wow cool. My mom totally read this same article and was telling me about it- but she didn't mention the study you talked about. I love it! Just so you know- I want to be a mom like you. You deal with so much- and yet you shine through and it's just totally apparent that you live for your children. I hope I can figure out how to do that like you do.