"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Discipline

So, I'm shocked to discover that I'm slacking in the picture taking department! So, no pictures on this post, just my thoughts. :)
My friends and I were discussing discipline the other day and it really got me thinking. It's probably typical of most disillusioned parents, but I had got into the habit of thinking that I'm a great disciplinarian. But as we were talking I realized that I've really gone soft and it's showing in the kids behavior! They're still good kids, but they throw fits more than they used to and they don't listen and respond quickly anymore, especially Cosette. I just slacked off because they're big and heavy and sometimes they just sit down and then I have to carry them to time-out and that's hard! And with Cosette I gave up because she can open her door and I don't like to stand there and hold it closed. But, I've decided, no more mrs. nice guy! The rope is handy so I can tie the door closed when Cosette is in time-out. And I'm going to be better at enforcing. And we're going to be better at 123 Magic (if you're struggling with discipline, check it out, it totally works! ... when you actually do it). So, those are my goals (of course, if they work out like the last goals I posted on the blog, then I'm going to utterly fail, but I'll give it my best shot).

2 comments:

Justin and Carissa said...

I know what you mean. Sometimes when I get upset that Matthew yet again got crumbs all over the couch, I think. "Gee, you could just not let him eat on the couch. You're kind of asking for a mess." And then I usually say, ya it's not worth the fight, I'd rather clean up the crumbs : ) I should do better too. But good luck! It really does make life easier once you get past the hard part.

Becky said...

I have never heard of the 123 magic thing, but what finally worked for our kids is color cards. If you have greatn you earn a point and after 7 points you get a little prize from our prize bucket (nothing big, mainly tape, balloons and stickers) anyway blue you earn nothing, red lose one and yellow you lose one and a privlige. It works wonders, I never yell I just go and change their card. Some days the cards change good and bad all day but it saves me from being the bad guy.