"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."-Emerson

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Reading

Chad came home this morning after helping someone move in and told me that this new family has a daughter a couple months younger than Debbie but that she is reading at the Nancy Drew level. Well, sadly, I started feeling a little competitive. Debbie reads really well, but we just haven't been pushing her. I've gotten lax and just let her read the simple books that the school sends home even though she is more advanced that them. But, she's definitely NOT at Nancy Drew level so I wanted to buy her some new books to read. As we were looking at the books at Costco and I wasn't really thrilled with the selection Chad suddenly said, "There's always the library." How sad is it that that DIDN'T EVEN CROSS MY MIND!!! Of COURSE there's the library, I'm so lame! So, we bought her a set of books because she would have been sad if we'd just left empty handed but we'll definitely be making frequent trips to the library now.

3 comments:

Sara said...

We are frequent library goers, so we could go together one day....and there is nothing wrong with a bit of competition ;)

The Mathis Family said...

Leah, I think Lucy is ready to start reading. What was the book you talked about forever ago that you used to help teach Debbie how to read. It was something like 10 lessons to start reading. If you remember e-mail me at anyamathis@gmail.com Thanks!!!!! Your an awesome mom and I'm totally competitive too!

Justin and Carissa said...

No worries. I don't even have a library card! Have fun reading : )